Cockroaches are a menace all over the world, and one of the most abundant species of insect on the planet. They have been around for millions of years, and possibly even pre-date dinosaurs. There are over 4000 different species of cockroaches, with the United States alone having 70 different species.
Types of Cockroaches
The two most prominent species of cockroach are the American and German cockroach. They are most commonly found in households and can survive in almost any kind of climate or environment.
- American Cockroach: This species of roaches is around one and a half inches long which makes them the biggest of their kind. They are reddish-brown in color and have developed wings.
- German Cockroach: These are around five-eighths of an inch, and are commonly found in restaurants and homes. They are flat and oval shaped and are brown/dark brown in color.
What Kind of Problems Can Cockroaches Cause?
You can find cockroaches in almost any part of your home. You can find them in your kitchens, washrooms, and basements. They can hide in your drains, cracks, crevices, moldings, and baseboards because they mainly prefer damp and dark surroundings to inhabit.
The presence of a cockroach is an indication of unhygienic and unsanitary conditions that can lead to some serious health problems. They can cause issues like dysentery, gastroenteritis, and typhoid.
Since they live on rotten products they can carry several such diseases along with them. They often live with contaminated material, and hence spread the diseases. These can spread very quickly too.
Believe it or not, but cockroaches can even damage your electronics too. They prefer to stay in dark, warm, and secluded areas to lay their eggs. Electronics like a television or game console provides just what they need. While they are in there, they may touch high-voltage components, and while it will kill them, in doing so, it could damage your equipment too.
Cockroaches can damage your clothing as well. They will feed on any food or liquid stains on your clothes, and even your sweat. While feeding on these, they will slowly tear away at the fabric. This is just another reason to keep your clothes clean regularly.
How Can You Prevent A Cockroach Infestation?
There are some ways in which you can help to prevent cockroaches from infesting your surroundings:
- Keep your house clean, and maintain cleanliness on a regular basis.
- Seal all possible holes, cracks or crevices around the house that could lead indoors.
- Fix any leaks from pipes, and in your basement to avoid a build-up of excess water.
- Maintain cool surroundings, and keep the moisture level down with the help of a dehumidifier.
How Quest Pest Control Can Solve Your Cockroach Problems
Quest Pest provides our customers with cockroach control services that will eliminate your roach problem permanently. Our professionally trained experts use the latest technology to quickly eradicate the issue. We also use only the safest insecticides that will cause no harm to you or your family.
No matter what pest problem you are experiencing, cockroach or any other, contact Quest Pest Control today for expert extermination services.