Rats can be found in nearly every area in the world inhabited by humans. They are one of the most resilient and adaptable pests. The United States alone has numerous species of rats with the most common being the Norway Rat and the Roof Rat. They can pose some serious threats to people, but the most threatening is without a doubt the diseases they can spread to people.
Dangers that rats can pose to humans include:
- Rats contaminate food items with their droppings and hairs which could result in food poisoning.
- They release unpleasant odors which may cause breathing issues, especially to people with asthma.
- Household items such as food containers, insulation, and electric wiring can be damaged.
- Often rats will carry ticks and fleas which they can then spread to humans and pets.
- Rats spread numerous diseases to people.
Signs of a Rat Infestation
There are steps you can take to help minimize the threat of rats in your home. The first step is to recognize rat activity going on in your house. Look for the following signs:
- Thin, small black droppings: A serious sign of rats in your home is finding its’ droppings in a small area.
- Small holes around sheds or debris: If you find these openings this could be entry points for rats to get into your home.
- Damaged food or materials like wood or electrical wiring: Rats constantly chew and gnaw on almost anything. Finding these marks is a sure sign of rats.
Preventative Measures Against Rats
If you know for sure that rats have made their way into your home there are some things you can try yourself to get them out or prevent from coming in at all. Try the following steps:
- Keep your house, indoors and outdoors, and garden free of garbage.
- Clean out sheds and storage areas on a regular basis.
- Secure all food items in sealed containers.
- Properly dispose of and secure all food wastes.
- Never use open compost heaps, and do not compost fish, chicken, butter, meat, etc.
- Maintain your lawn by cutting the grass regularly, and trim shrubs and bushes which rats may use as shelter.
- You can purchase rat killers available on the market, but make sure it is safe to use around your home.
Professional Rat Control Methods
Even after trying these methods you may still be faced with a rat infestation. Rats reproduce very quickly, so only a couple of rats can explode into a serious problem very fast. If you find yourself overwhelmed turn to the rat control experts at Quest Pest Control in Suffolk County, NY. Our professionally trained technicians will use the following methods to remove rats from your home:
- Mechanical Traps: This is one of the most popular, and safest methods to remove rats. These specially designed traps removes all of the existing rats from your home.
- Garden Care: We analyze your garden to remove any shelters rats may have made there. Afterwards we cover the garden with our safe chemicals to keep rats away. This method lasts from 4–6 months.
- Sealing Method: Our rat control experts mark the entry points rats are using to get into your home. Once all the rats are trapped and removed we make the necessary repairs, and seal off the entry points with rodent-proof materials. This method will keep rats from re-entering your home, and last from 5–6 months.
If you are experiencing a rat infestation or any kind of pest problem, and the methods you have tried are not working, turn to the professional rat control experts at Quest Pest Control. Contact our highly-trained technicians to solve your pest control issues.